Sunday, July 12, 2009

LPGA Tour Posts Job Opening


This just in...

BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The LPGA’s Board of Directors is actively seeking an interim commissioner from outside the organization to run its tour while the board launches a more thorough search for a successor to Carolyn Bivens, a tour player director said Sunday at the U.S. Women’s Open.


Alrightey-then!

Sign-me-up!

As one of just a handful of barely measurable men (or women) who now watch the LPGA Tour on a regular basis during the season, I think I have some ideas on how to keep the tour relevant.

And by "relevant" I mean... alive.

Ahem.

Look, getting back the SEVEN events that Bivens managed to burn to the ground with her heavy-handed-who-do-you-think-you-are approach, is going to take YEARS. But let's start with what we can start with.

1. All HD, all the time. Nothing is death quite like SD sports these days, so whatever costs incurred here, just write the check.

2. Ban long pants when the weather is 65 degrees and above. Oh, is that sexist? Sorry. It's not. It's just a dress code. The men don't get to wear shorts (or tank tops like the ladies) for a simple reason. It would look like crap. The PGA Tour believes in presenting a "professional" look. The LPGA needs the same. Androgynous short-haired women wearing parachute pant trousers in July in baseball caps ain't gonna cut it.

3. Limit the # of Players from a single country. Yeah, this IS targeted at South Korea, which now provides some 40% of the LPGA. Let's use that current 40% going forward. And if Sweden gets super-good, then they too would hit the wall at 40%, as would American players. You wanna call this racist? Go tell that to the Japanese baseball leagues and the Canadian Football leagues which limit foreign players.

4. Push the American stars like Paula Creamer (above) like crazy. Make no apologies. Get them on Dancing With the Stars, exhibition matches, and whatever else gets the names and faces into the pop culture bloodstream.

5. Know your place. At the end of whatever you do, you gotta remember you are a nice little "niche" league. Embrace the "mom and pop" aspects of the Tour and don't ever think you will approach PGA Tour rights fees, attendance, or prize money.

There. Now where do I send my resume?

9 comments:

  1. Agreed 100 percent. The Women's US Open winner today was shock, from South Korea. I consider myself well versed on all the major tours thanks to Golf Channel, a half dozen golf blogs I check frequently and I still guarantee you I'll forget the winner's name by Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. selling the women on the lpga is no different than indy car racing selling danica patrick
    it is what is needed to keep the sport alive
    it is the only reason i pause when i come across women's golf on tv

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you want to see the better half of the LPGA in shorts or skirts. Let them make the decision on whether or not the legs are going to sell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ty Votaw made some waves while he was LPGA commissioner when he said that the players' physical appearance was an important part of their appeal. The feminists in the media and on the tour were all too predictably upset. But let's face it -- I'm pretty sure that the majority of LPGA viewers are male. And Paula Creamer knows it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. send it straight to the garbage

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am agreed what you opined. US Open winner now was shock, from South Korea. I love to consider myself well on all the major tours in the golf journey and would like to thank to Golf Channel and also the author of this blog for sharing such an entertaining and informative post. Though I was in search for getting some ideas on Women's job opportunities in Korea especially on 유흥알바, I have the pleasure of getting me into this brillinat touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve, your represented the whole tour really very well. Yeah, a professional approach always able to ensure the best and top most success for ant events or activity. I also enjoy all the sessions regularly. I think Biven was able to contribute a good to LPGA. Perhaps she was the seventh person and the first woman to hold the position of commissioner since the Ladies Professional Golf Association was founded in 1950. Surely pushing some stars players must bring the competition to more focus. BTW I enjoyed your analytical and excellent LPGA tour posts job opening though I was interested information on the sports jobs in dubai. Thanks for publishing such a sports loving post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really happy to find this information.
    Today, bloggers post gossip and about the web, and it's really annoying.
    A good website with interesting content, this is what I need.
    Thank you for maintaining this site.
    Thank you for good information.
    유흥알바

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great information. Lucky me I found your website by chance (stumbleupon).
    I have bookmarked it for later!
    알바

    ReplyDelete