Sudden, violent, and irreversable allergy to.... MEAT.
/cue Homer scream: "Oh... no... for the love of god!"
Shortly after he was bitten, Rutherford ate a steak dinner.
A few hours later, “My feet started itching and it worked its way up,” Rutherford said. “I had huge hives around my waist. It was pretty ugly.”
It was even worse the next time it happened after Rutherford ate a hamburger.
“It took me three trips to the emergency room, and I didn’t have a clue as to what was the cause,” Rutherford said.
After some internet digging and talking with doctors, Rutherford learned he’d contracted the alpha-gal allergy from his tick bites. It causes a potentially deadly allergic reaction to the carbohydrates in any type of mammal meat. Rutherford is now very careful about what he eats.
Seriously, this ailment would be just 1 step short of cancer for me. Let's hope they find a cure.