Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tiger Woods, Say Hello to Lion Kim


No, I am not making this up.

Lion Kim is a real golfer, and he just won the US Amateur Public Links championship. Now, will he go on to challenge Tiger Woods for 14-plus majors?

Child, please.

The kid is good, however. And here's the backstory on his name.

Kim, whose given name is Jun Min, was born in Seoul, Korea, but moved to the United States when he was less than a year old. He has been known as Lion since he started playing junior golf tournaments. It was a change Kim’s parents made to distinguish him from other junior golfers.

“My dad wanted to name my Lion because, number one, it's very easy to remember,” said Kim. “I'm sure my parents got the idea from Tiger Woods. But I know for a fact they didn't name me Lion Kim thinking I would be the next Tiger Woods. Trust me, they're smarter than that.”


REACT: Of course, Tiger has been re-named "Cheetah Woods" my some of my golfing buddies, so I guess all we are missing is "Wildebeast Jones", "Zebra Smith" and "Hyena Johnson" for the PGA Tour to become interesting again.

2 comments: